2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 17:34:21 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Traditions await further cleanup

Hawai'i
HONOLULU ADVERTISER
Traditions await further cleanup
By Timothy Hurley
Posted on: Sunday, November 2, 2003

For more than a quarter century, the island of Kaho'olawe has been a
touchstone for cultural renaissance and a rallying point for the Native
Hawaiian sovereignty movement.

On Nov. 11, the island's journey from conscripted bombing range to
cultural preserve will hit yet another milestone: the Navy officially
hands over access control to the state.

The date marks 10 years since Congress authorized the $400 million
cleanup of the island and represents the first time since statehood that
Hawai'i will control access to all its territory.

"I honestly don't know where the 10 years went," said Dr. Noa Emmett
Aluli, chairman of the Kahoolawe Island Reserve Commission and president
of the Protect Kaho'olawe 'Ohana, the group that carried out a series of
occupations of the island beginning in 1976 and continued the fight in
the years since.

The battle to wrest control of Kaho'olawe from the Navy, which had been
using the island for target practice since the start of World War II,
was an early model for the Native Hawaiian rights movement, a catalyst
for activism and cultural resurgence throughout the Islands.

A ceremony marking the transfer to the state will be held Nov. 12 at
'Iolani Palace. The noon program will be preceded by a cultural ceremony
at the 'ahu on the palace grounds at 11:30 a.m.

This article can be viewed at:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Nov/02/ln/ln07a.html