2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: christine <c_ziebold@yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 14:49:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Digest for cpeo-military@igc.topica.com, issue 892

Subject: Lenny's comment on Congress and perchlorate

Thank you for pointing this out, Lenny.
It surprises that Congress wants to become primary investigator in
epidemiolocal studies. How many of the politicians/lawyers have an MPH
or PhD in epidemiology ?

Alas, the idea of human experiments on perchlorate exposure isn't new.
I wonder if Lockheed Martin's data werent good enough. For those who
dodnt know: On their behalf Loma Linda University in San Bernardino had
conducted the first large-scale test(Los Angeles Times Nov. 27 2000).
Loma Linda Medical Center payed 100 non pregnant people $1,000 to eat a
dose of perchlorate every day for six months followed by 291 mrem
radiation studies ( thyroid function) warning them only of the
possibility of "mild hypothyroidism".  Prominent medical researchers
condemned the study as morally unethical and scientifically invalid. I
have not seen the data published, surprise, surprise.

This type of study lays the ground for research that should not be
conducted, not in the US and not in developing countries, and likewise
should not be used by the EPA for regulatory purposes.

Christien Ziebold MD PhD