2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 21:15:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] DoD, Florida Partner to Protect Military Ranges, Environment

United States Department of Defense
News Releases
On the web: http://www.dod.mil/releases/2003/nr20031112-0635.html
Media contact: +1 (703) 697-5131
Public contact: http://www.dod.mil/faq/comment.html or +1 (703) 428-0711

No. 842-03
IMMEDIATE RELEASE  November 12, 2003
DoD, Florida Partner to Protect Military Ranges, Environment

Principal Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Installations
and Environment Philip Grone and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush today signed an
agreement that will strengthen national security and protect significant
natural resources in Northwest Florida.

The Northwest Florida Greenway collaboration represents the most
ambitious use to date of the congressional authority provided to the
Department of Defense last year approving partnerships with states and
non-profit conservation organizations to preserve habitat and reduce
encroachment on military operations.  The Florida project creates 100
miles of open space stretching from the Apalachicola National Forest and
waters of the Gulf of Mexico to Eglin Air Force Base.

During the agreement signing ceremony in Tallahassee, Grone said, “On
behalf of the Secretary of Defense, I want to thank Gov. Bush and the
State of Florida, The Nature Conservancy and the other many partners
that are willing to help craft a Northwest Florida Greenway Corridor
that will benefit our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines, and
preserve some of our country’s most unique natural areas.”

“Florida is among the first in the nation to join forces with the
Department of Defense to increase security for important military
installations while at the same time protecting valuable natural
resources,” said Bush.  “This groundbreaking partnership affirms
Florida’s resolute commitment to the environment and our nation’s
military.”