2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Nov 2003 20:45:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Makua training resumes Dec. 8

Hawai'i
HONOLULU STAR-BULLETIN
Makua training resumes Dec. 8
The Army announces live-fire maneuvers are needed for troops bound for
Afghanistan
By Diana Leone, dleone@starbulletin.com
Thursday, November 27, 2003

The 25th Infantry Division will resume live-fire training in Makua
Valley starting Dec. 8, the Army announced yesterday.

But Malama Makua, the Waianae Coast group that has a settlement with the
Army regarding use of the valley, has not yet approved the training.

The Army is proposing live-fire training on convoy operations, which is
not included in an October 2001 settlement on what kinds of training the
Army will conduct in the valley, said David Henkin, the EarthJustice
attorney who represents Malama Makua.

Henkin called the Army's announcement of training operations yesterday
"premature" but added that "we're working in good faith with them."

Live-fire training was banned in Makua Valley for three years, due to a
Malama Makua lawsuit seeking an environmental impact statement on the
cumulative effect of years of Army training in the 4,190-acre valley.

A month after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, Malama Makua dismissed
its lawsuit and reached agreement that the Army could resume limited
live-fire training in the valley if it completed the detailed
environmental study.

Fred Dodge, a member of the Malama Makua board of directors, said the
group is "considering the total picture. We're not against the troops --
they need training," but has questions about what the Army is proposing.

This article can be viewed at:
http://starbulletin.com/2003/11/27/news/story1.html