2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Dec 2003 18:20:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Navy seeks to expand weapons test area

Washington
SEATTLE TIMES
Navy seeks to expand weapons test area
By The Associated Press
Sunday, November 30, 2003 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.

BRINNON, Jefferson County — A Navy proposal to expand weapons testing in
Hood Canal and off the Washington coast has everyone from business
owners to whale researchers concerned.

The Keyport Naval Undersea Warfare Center already operates three ranges
in the area: one focused on torpedo testing in Hood Canal's Dabob Bay, a
second focused on submarine research and underwater mapping off the
coast of the Quinault Indian Reservation, and a third next to the
warfare center itself.

The Navy's preliminary proposal calls for the 89-square-mile testing
area to expand to 2,672 square miles, the bulk of it in Quinault waters.

The Navy has offered few specifics on its plans.

This article can be viewed at:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001803943_navywhales30m.html