2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Dec 2003 22:40:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] N.C. Counties OK Lawsuit vs. Navy Over Jet Field

North Carolina
WAVY.COM
N.C. Counties OK Lawsuit vs. Navy Over Jet Field
By Estes Thompson
December 2, 2003

(AP) - Two eastern North Carolina counties will pursue legal action to
fight a proposed landing field for Navy jets that would cover 30,000
acres of what is now privately owned farmland.

County commissioners in Beaufort and Washington counties voted Monday to
hire the Charlotte law firm Kennedy Covington & Associates to pursue a
lawsuit. The law firm agreed to represent the counties for free, said
Washington County Commissioner Bill Sexton, but the counties would have
some expenses for travel and experts.

No lawsuit has been filed, but one official said he hoped the lawyers
could seek an injunction in early January to stop the Navy from trying
to buy land.

"Our community is under an enormous amount of stress," said Brian Roth,
mayor of the Washington County town of Plymouth. "Our citizens need
relief from this burden of losing their homes, their farms and losing
their heritage."

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=1547774&nav=23iiJR94