2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Dec 2003 18:50:12 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fury as rig deal put at risk by protests

England
EVENING GAZETTE
Fury as rig deal put at risk by protests
Matthew Pardo
Dec 16 2003

Fury erupted today as Able UK bosses revealed that legal fights over the
controversial "ghost ships" could scupper a ?165m oil rig deal and 500
jobs for Teesside.

Environmentalists who are putting the massive oil rig deal at risk were
today subjected to a withering attack by local MPs.

And Able boss Peter Stephenson vowed to fight to the last to save the
construction deal and insisted he would appeal against a High Court
ruling made yesterday.

Mr Justice Sullivan had ruled in favour of three Hartlepool residents
who said planning permission given to Able UK in 1997 to work on "marine
structures" did not cover the ghost ships work.

The judge will give his full ruling on Thursday.

But MPs today blasted the latest court ruling and the campaigners behind
the legal challenge.

Ashok Kumar, MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland, said those
opposing the ghost ships deal were a "rag bag of mad men and women who
obviously don't appreciate what this work means to our area".

"They should be ashamed of themselves.

"This was an opportunity to provide work for Teesside... to provide work
for the area... an opportunity for us."

Instead of celebrating their victory, added Dr Kumar, those responsible
for destroying the job prospects of the area "should be hanging their
heads in shame".

Stockton North MP Frank Cook described the court's judgment as
"preposterous".

He said: "It seems a bloody daft decision and to my mind Able UK should
appeal."

To view this article, copy and paste the following URL into your
browser:
http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0001head/content_objectid=13730811_method=full_siteid=50080_headline=-Fury-as-rig-deal-put-at-risk-by-protests-name_page.html