2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Feb 2004 17:10:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Norco found negligent in handling of Wyle site

California
DAILY BULLETIN
Norco found negligent in handling of Wyle site
By Sara A. Carter
January 29, 2004

NORCO - Norco officials got an earful over the city's handling of
chemical contamination at Wyle Laboratories in a report released
Thursday by the Riverside County Civil Grand Jury.

Since early 1985, neighbors of Wyle Labs alleged that hazardous
materials and chemicals used at the 429-acre site, which tests numerous
products for the United States Department of Defense and aerospace
industries, were linked to a growing number of thyroid disease and
thyroid cancer incidents in the area, and that city officials had
ignored their complaints.

And although the Grand Jury could comment on the residents' allegations
of illnesses, they did stipulate in their report that the city was
negligent in how it handled information, testing and treatment of its
citizens.

"The grand jury is telling these people it is time to listen," said Wyle
neighbor Larry Jenkins, who also serves on the city's Community Advisory
Group, a diverse group of residents established by the state Department
of Toxic Substances Control to disseminate information to residents
about the site.

"It calls to the fact that we went to the City Council and they didn't
listen," Jenkins said.

The grand jury made a total of six recommendations to the Norco City
Council, Interim City Manager Chuck Skaggs, the Planning Department and
the City Public Works Department, including City Engineer Joe Schenk.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203~21481~1924104,00.html