2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Robert S. Taylor" <rst195005@aol.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2004 14:53:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: buy outs

I recall  that the FUDS program paid for the relocation of a high school in Ohio.  The high school was located on land of a former defense site, and there was an apparent high incidence of cancer among recent graduates of the school.  The Department determined that CERCLA provided adequate authority for it to pay for the relocation of the school -- see the definition of "remedy" or "remedial action" at section 101(24) ( ... The term includes the costs of permanent relocation of residents and businesses and community facilities where the President determines that, alone or in combination with other measures, such relocation is more cost-effective than and environmentally preferable to" other measures), but Congress in its wisdom amended DERP to provide specific authority to spend funds to relocate facilities.  10 USC 2703(b)(1)(B).  Problem is that this authority is limited to cases where the facility is located on DoD land or on former DoD land; it does not extend to situations you specifically asked about -- where the facility to be relocated is adjacent to DoD lands.  Further, the authority provided by this section expired on September 30, 2003 -- it might have been extended; I just don't know.  Congress managed to convert what had been clear into a confusing mess; for example, did 2703(b)(1)(B) limit DoD's authority under CERCLA, or did it simply provide an additional source of authority?  If the DERP provision limited DoD's authority, did DoD's authority arise from the ashes when the authority of the DERP provision expired (if it has in fact expired), or is DoD left with no authority?

The DERP provision did not apply to DOE, so I am not aware of any limitation on DOE's authority to take remedial action (which authority includes paying for permanent relocation).

Robert Taylor (no relation to Steve)