2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 19:47:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Guest View: Otero Fence Avoids Cleanup

New Mexico
MOUNTAIN VIEW TELEGRAPH
Guest View: Otero Fence Avoids Cleanup
By Matt Turgeon
Thursday, February 12, 2004

I am writing in regard to the issue of Otero Canyon, and the proposed
action by Kirtland Air Force Base (KAFB) of placing nearly 61/2 miles of
chain-link fence in land leased from the U.S. Forest Service.

This parcel of land, approximately 7,300 acres, is bounded between South
14 to the east and KAFB to the west, and is owned by the U.S. Forest
Service (USFS), but leased to the Department of Defense (DoD). U.S.
Geological (Survey) markers are located on some of the trails within
this area, and local residents have used much of the land as a
recreation area for many, many years. We in New Mexico have enjoyed this
beautiful area after work, on weekends, holidays and whenever the time
allows.

Long ago, due to the efforts to support World War II, this area was
added to a parcel of land used to create the existence of what is known
today as KAFB. The Otero Canyon area, or commonly known as the
"withdrawal area," was used sporadically by the DoD from the time of the
lease of this land until now. Because of the infrequent use of this land
by the DoD, people on horseback, bicycle, motorcycle and foot began
recreating in the area for the many scenic vistas and to also visit the
land their ancestors used before the withdrawal. Slowly it became a
travel destination for folks around the state, and subsequently the
nation, to enjoy. Tourists thus contributed to the economies of local
communities such as Tijeras, Cedar Crest and, of course, Albuquerque.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.mvtelegraph.com/opinion/144254mtnoped02-12-04.htm