2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Mar 2004 20:48:35 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Partnership aids Muck Creek

Washington
THE OLYMPIAN
Partnership aids Muck Creek
Nisqually tribe, Army cooperate on restoration
John Dodge
March 8, 2004

FORT LEWIS -- As its name suggests, Muck Creek is not your typical
Western Washington stream.

This major tributary to the Nisqually River flows through prairie land
in the heart of the Fort Lewis Army base.

Standing next to the gurgling stream, flush with its late winter flow,
you can hear the crackle of rifle fire at an Army training station a few
hundred yards away.

Look closer, and the decaying oaks and Oregon ash along the stream bank
show signs of fire that ripped through the the area next to the stream
last summer, touched off by exploding artillery shells in the nearby
impact zone.

"This stretch of the creek is part of the buffer zone for the impact
area," said Fort Lewis fish and wildlife program manager Dave Clouse.

The 1.5-mile-long creek segment also is the site of a salmon-habitat
restoration project, paid for by the federal Department of Defense and
carried out by the Nisqually tribe.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20040308/_environment/10189.shtml