2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Apr 2004 19:37:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: South Weymouth Reuse and Cleanup

Base rumors flying around

By Patrick J. Cronin
Norwell Mariner (MA)
April 1, 2004

Officials concerned about more housing

Rumors have been running rampant that redevelopment plans for the former
South Weymouth Naval Air Station have been changed to include as much as
3,000 additional housing units.

South Shore Tri-Town Development Corporation, the group overseeing the
project, and Lennar Partners of California, the candidate to be the
master developer of the, base meet with Abington selectmen Monday to
dispel those rumors.

Abington resident Dave Wilmont doesn't know what the future holds for
the former South Weymouth Navy base. His main concern is that the base
gets cleaned up.

"I don't want to see my daughter skipping like I skip," said Wilmont,
who now walks with a cane because he's suffering from Multiple Sclerosis.

Wilmont, who was diagnosed with MS in 1998, believes contamination from
the base may be the common denominator in why so many people have
suffered from such ailments as Lou Gehrig's disease and Multiple
Sclerosis in Abington, Hingham, Rockland and Weymouth.

DeSantis said clean up of the base is a priority, which is why they're
pushing for the Navy to transfer the remaining portion of the base.

"The Navy won't release the property without a plan of some kind,"
DeSantis said. "It's imperative that we transfer this property right
away. If the Navy keeps the property, I assure you that cleanup costs
will get wrapped up in the Pentagon budget processes. Cleanup on the
base could take up to 15 to 20 years."

for the entire story, see
http://www.townonline.com/norwell/news/local_regional/nor_newalnavybase04012004.htm