2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 May 2004 12:17:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Solis criticizes Defense proposal

Military can't get a pass on environment

a column by Congresswoman Hilda L. Solis
Pasadena Star-News
April 30, 2004

In the midst of the turmoil in the Middle East, the Bush Administration
has opened up an assault on the public health of military families here
at home - an assault that could greatly impact our own community.

For the third year in a row, the administration is seeking to exempt the
military from compliance with the Clean Air Act, Superfund, and toxic
waste management laws, three very important public health and
environmental laws.

These exemptions are dangerous - they would endanger the public health
and welfare of military families and surrounding communities, endanger
our drinking water supply, and undermine the legal ability of California
and other states and citizens to protect themselves from these threats.

for the entire column, see
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories/0,1413,206~11851~2120639,00.html#