2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Jun 2004 15:25:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Hawai`i Congressman Supports Blumenauer Amendments

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card 0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus® award* Start Saving Today ? APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and secure. http://click.topica.com/caaciqQaVxieSa8wsBba/Discover Card

The following statement, by Representative Case from the 2nd district of Hawai`i, in support of Congressman Blumenauer, was entered into official congressional record.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r108:1:./temp/~r108gEMHLt:e158481:

Mr. CASE. Mr. Chairman, I rise today in support of the amendments offered by my distinguished colleague, the gentleman from Oregon, Mr. Blumenauer, relative to unexploded ordnance. I completely agree with the underlying assertion of his amendments that our country is failing its obligation to clean up unexploded ordnance (UXO) throughout our states and in fact, throughout the world.

My own Hawai`i is a classic example. Our military has made extensive use of my state for military training and preparedness for at least a century, and we in Hawai`i accept that use as an obligation that we owe to our country.

However, according to the Department of Defense's FY2002 Defense Environmental Restoration Program Annual Report to Congress, today there remain throughout Hawai`i over fifty Department of Defense-registered locations that have not been cleaned up, presenting ongoing public safety risks. These include 10 separate sites at Lualualei Naval Magazine on the Waianae Coast, one ten acre site at the Pacific Missile Range Facility at Barking Sands on the island of Kaua`i, five sites at Marine Corps Base Hawai`i at Kaneohe Bay, four sites on the island of Lana`i, and many smaller locations throughout the state. I can only believe that there are a number of other states in the same situation.

Let me take the specific example of the military's past use of a large portion of the Island of Hawai`i in and around the current residential communities of Waimea and Waikoloa. During and after World War II, the United States military, primarily the Navy and Marine Corps, utilized an area of approximately 123,000 acres on the western side of the Island of Hawai`i as an artillery range, military training cap, and general military grounds. This former Waikoloa Maneuver/Nansay Combat Range lies in and around the Coast resort area, and remains littered with related debris including UXO. This UXO has already resulted in civilian deaths and injuries and represents a continuing threat to residents and visitors and renders large portions of the area effectively unusable.

In 1992, the United States Army Corps of Engineers determined that the site
was eligible for the Defense Environmental Restoration Program for designation as a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS). In 2002, the Corps completed an engineering evaluation/cost analysis which designated the entire site for potential ordnance health and safety risk and estimated total cleanup at an excess of $600,000,000.

Of that amount, the Corps analysis estimated cleanup costs for the three highest areas of potential risk, in and immediately adjacent to existing and pending residential communities at $250,000,000. A comprehensive plan for utilization of such funds to those purposes requested by the Senate Armed Services Committee (SASC Report 107-151), completed, and submitted to the Secretary of the Army. Same amounts have been expended and other have been allocated in effectuation of that plan, but much less of the $250,000,000 estimate and far short then the estimated costs of total cleanup in excess of $600,000,000.

On April 12, 2004, I met with official from the United States Army Corps of Engineers on the Big Island of Hawai`i. At that meeting, I was given an update on the Corps of Engineers' ongoing efforts to clear high priority sites within the Waikoloa Maneuver Area. A small project now underway has begun to clear UXO around Waikoloa Village and Waimea Town--two relatively populated areas on the Big Island. This cleanup project is located in an area that was once used as a military training cap and artillery range.

Both on and off the record, I have heard many excuses about the reasons we cannot fund UXO: the war, the deficit, the President's tax cuts. But, these excuses and past Congressional and Executive mishandling of the UXO issue are no excuse for the country--for this Congress--to ignore a concept espoused by parents, coaches and camp counselors alike: Leave any place you visited cleaner than when you arrived. The Army Corps of Engineers is ready and willing to begin the process of cleanup; it is now up to all of us in Congress to appropriate the funds for this much-needed action.

Mr. Chairman, our military needs places where they can train fully to protect our country, but when they've completed their mission it's only right that they clean up and assure that those of us that come after them can use the land safely. These amendments offered by the gentleman from Oregon are an essential first step towards cleaning up the many communities which are littered with UXO. I urge their adoption by the House.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aimee R. Houghton
Associate Director, CPEO
1101 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC  20036
tel: 202-452-8039; fax: 202-452-8095
Email: aimeeh@cpeo.org
www.cpeo.org

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening, weekend or FlexNet® classes ? over 130 locations. Look into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1aVxieSa8wsBbf/UOP

CPEO: A DECADE OF SUCCESS. Your generous support will ensure that our important work on military and environmental issues will continue. Please consider one of our donation options. Thank you.