2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 21:30:54 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Old chemical round found at Dover AFB

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjaVxieSbnA7rua/OmahaSteaks

Chemical in WWI-era shell injures 3
Air Force was investigating device found near Bridgeville

By JEFF MONTGOMERY and PATRICK JACKSON
The News-Jounral (DE)
July 24, 2004

A suspected blister agent in a World War I-era shell found near
Bridgeville injured three members of a military explosives disposal team
at Dover Air Force Base this week, prompting an investigation by the
Army's chemical weapon center in Maryland.

The three active-duty service members reported undisclosed symptoms a
day after they encountered a "black, tar-like substance" while
attempting to open the corroded munition Tuesday with a small explosive
charge, according to a base statement.

One of the three remained hospitalized in stable condition late Friday
at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia.

"World War I was when they were using and experimenting with various
chemical agents," said George Mercer, spokesman for the Army's Aberdeen
Proving Ground in Maryland. "My understanding is that the people from
the Air Force who were doing this either had burns or blisters."

Delaware State Police had asked the base to dispose of the round after a
trooper spotted it at about 7 a.m. Monday protruding from a clamshell
driveway. The officer was on an unrelated call near Bridgeville, Cpl.
Helen Zane said late Friday, and was unaware of the munition's full
nature.

for the entire article, see
http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/local/2004/07/24chemicalinwwier.html

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdaVxieSbnA7ruf/411Web