2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 9 Aug 2004 22:40:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Greenland agreement

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpaVxieSbnA7rua/OmahaSteaks

U.S. Expands Greenland Relations in Support of Missile Defense

Environment News Service

IGALIKU, Greenland, August 9, 2004 (ENS) - Agreements broadening
environmental, economic, and technical cooperation between the United
States, Denmark and Greenland were signed here on Friday after two years
of negotiation. The accord, which modernizes the 1951 Defense of
Greenland Agreement, paves the way for an upgrade of radar facilities at
Thule Air Base to support the U.S. missile defense program.

The agreements were signed by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell,
Greenland Deputy Premier Josef Motzfeldt, and Danish Foreign Minister
Per Stig Moeller. Greenland became an integral part of the Kingdom of
Denmark in 1953 and was granted home rule in 1979.

Under the new accord, an Environmental Subcommittee is established to
meet regularly to identify and address environmental issues and
recommend countermeasures to risks posed by environmental contamination
affecting the Thule Defense Area and adjacent areas.

Powell told the TV audience, "With respect to Thule, we are going to be
doing more to make sure that the environment is protected and that we
are not doing anything at Thule that would in any way damage this
beautiful country."

for the entire article, see
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2004/2004-08-09-02.asp

Amazing Diet Patch