2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: DickBoyd@aol.com
Date: 14 Sep 2004 06:49:35 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Organisms to eat contamination at Beale AFB, California

Water agency gives Beale nod to clean up site
By Daniel Witter/Appeal-Democrat

Beale Air Force Base officials can move ahead with the cleanup of a contaminated site after a state agency issued a permit Friday.

It will allow the base to inject sodium lactate and microorganisms into the ground. The lactate will be a food source for the organisms, which will break down chemicals in the process, said Robert Reeves, a project manager with the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board.

"We're pretty sure we know what's going to happen," Reeves said. The process is faster than other conventional approaches.

The project is part of a $200 million basewide cleanup effort that will take years to finish.

The permit is for Site 10, east of the flight line and Doolittle Drive on the northwest side of the base.

Site 10 was used for testing the jet engines of SR-71 reconnaissance aircraft from 1959 to 1990, according to the state board. <<SNIP>>