2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Oct 2004 17:31:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Congress says no base closure delay!

[This is the first firm report on the Congressional decision to move
ahead with the base closure process. I expect there will be more
detailed articles later. - LS]

Lawmakers agree to drop base-closure delay from defense bill

Associated Press (Marine Times)
October 08, 2004

Congressional negotiators on Thursday dropped a House proposal to delay
military base closings for two years as part of an agreement on a
massive defense bill.

The House voted in May to put off the base closings from 2005 to 2007. A
similar provision failed in the Senate, and the Bush administration
threatened to veto the entire bill authorizing defense programs for the
government spending year that began Oct. 1.

?We went along with the Senate?s position,? said Rep. John McHugh,
R-N.Y., of negotiations that ended in the early hours Thursday.

for the entire article, see
http://www.marinetimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-418015.php