2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Nov 2004 20:24:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] OSHA Fines Company for Exposing Workers to UXO Hazard

This past summer we reported on three EOD technicians who suffered severe burns after encountering chemical rounds while responding to the discovery of munitions in a residential driveway in Delaware.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has subsequently fined Sea Watch International $9,000 for safety violations at its Milford, Delaware plant. The plant processes clam shells which are then used as material for concrete and in this particular case, driveways. OSHA has determined that the company has exposed its employees to explosive, skin contact, and inhalation hazards from handling material potentially containing UXO.

OSHA has also charged Sea Watch with failing to have an emergency response plan to handle the discovery of UXO at its processing plant. As a result, OSHA is now requiring that every clamshell shipment arriving at the plant undergo a screening process utilizing metal detectors.

Aimee
We've Moved!  Please note new contact information
Aimee R. Houghton
Associate Director, CPEO
815 King Street, Suite 206
Alexandria, VA 22314