2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 Dec 2004 00:28:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] DHL Picks March Air Reserve Base as New Hub

DHL Picks March Base as New Hub

The shipping firm gets a below-market deal for the joint-powers base
near Riverside. Neighbors, fearing noise and pollution, are suing.

By Janet Wilson
Los Angeles Times
December 14, 2004

Shipping giant DHL has picked March Air Reserve base in Riverside County
to be its new cargo hub in Southern California, in what admirers and
opponents alike characterized as a very good deal for DHL.

For backers of the facility, DHL's announcement was a relief after a
decade of efforts to bring private, profit-making businesses to the
joint-powers base, and stiff competition from nearby Ontario and San
Bernardino International airports.

"I'm beyond elated," said Phil Rizzo, who served as commander of the Air
Force base for many years and who has led efforts to redevelop March
since it was downsized in 1996. The reserve base now has a dual
public-private mission to bring in commercial revenue to help offset
operating costs for the Department of Defense.

The March Joint Powers Commission is expected to approve the deal
Wednesday. One commissioner, Riverside County Supervisor Bob Buster,
expressed some doubts.

"I still hope we can get some agreement from DHL to both minimize any
noise and overflight over residential areas in the Riverside area during
nighttime hours," he said. "That needs to be provided for and it hasn't been."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dhl14dec14,1,3926253.story?coll=la-headlines-california