2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Stella Bourassa" <Stellalogic@cfl.rr.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 17:59:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] RAB Rule proposed

Thank you Lenny for 'opening up the discussion' and for your response.  I
can attest to my own personal invovlvement with being a RAB and concerned
community member and all that encompasses with a closed/transferring base.
Yet, as I read your response, I tried to 'simplify' a very complicated
matter in many communities across our nation and in the world.  Let me start
with a piece of land, here in Central Florida that was to be the site of new
school.  After testing the ground, they found it to be full of arsenic and
needless to say, the new school plans have been axed.

When I started attending the RAB meetings (Camp Bonneville) I was quite
ignorant and clueless to 'what I was getting myself involved in'.  I was
under the impression it was for 'future plans' that the county was proposing
yet my involvement became anything but that.  I was so ignorant that I
foolishly sent a letter to Ft. Lewis asking to be given this property in
order to 'leave it as is' for a nature preserve.  I look back on my early
days and laugh at my stupidity.

What really is the 'issue' here Lenny?  Is it really about 'community
activism', learning the ropes, being given the personal opportunity to find
one's 'latent talents', which I watched bloom in those around the RAB table?
OR is this about the military (or anyone for that matter-this school site is
another example) trying to 'get out' from under contaminated land that they
contaminated but do not want to clean up?  Can I say this a better way?  If
you or I had a piece of property that we were trying to 'sell' or 'get rid
of', would we not first make sure it fit for sale?  I have yet to work with
a 'stupid or ignorant' military personnel that did NOT KNOW ordnance causes
contamination.  How is it possible that any base in America, trained upon
for years and years would NOT be contaminated?  How many times did I sit
around the RAB table or talk to the 'clean up' crew and state the obvious
only to be 'patronized' or worse than that, have no clue to what they had
proposed or understood the implications of????  In 1990, the Army was
instructed to test the groundwater on Camp Bonneville for the 'obvious' was
showing up, yet the Army continued to refuse such testing till it appeared
they were backed into a corner.  I think the worse excuse I hear is 'there
are no historical archives/data to warrant such a search' yet there were
still many veterans who trained on Camp Bonneville and still remembered
'what was not written down' but their 'memories' were dismissed with a
polite 'thank you for your time".

Am I rambling?  I'll summarize, or try to, the issues on these closed bases
are complicated and technical.  Most community members are not trained or
educated in these matters and so must 'learn as they go' which takes up lots
of time and energy and in groundwater contamination, just adds another day
closer to the contamination going 'off site'.  The military is made up of
those who are trained, educated and do know the serious and insidious
concerns these closed bases are presenting to the community.  It is
irresponsible, as well as disregarding to the health and safety of the
community, to even begin to talk about 'transferring' these bases till the
'owners' make it safe and healthy which is no different than what you or I
or anyone else on this listserver would have to do if we were trying to
'sell' property we owned. So, what exactly is the purpose of the RAB's if
the VERY owners are not being responsible and accountable for their own
decisions?  Is it to get the 'ignorant' community members to agree to
decisions that 'sound nice' but are not so that 'they' can turn around and
say 'hey, but you agreed with us?'  How many 'community volunteers'
understand the serious concerns posed to their health and safety and where
can they turn when the owners deny such possibilities and facts?

What really is the 'bottom line' here????  From my perspective, this just
seems like another 'smokescreen' meant to take my eyes off the real
issues-clean up by those who made the mess before ANY talk of 'selling or
transferring' happens which means the 'bottom line' is money.

Stella