2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 16:52:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] AWWA perchlorate letter

American Water Works Association
Government Affairs Office
1401 New York Ave., NW, Suite 640
Washington, DC  20005

February 2, 2005

Mr. Benjamin Grumbles
Assistant Administrator for Water
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
1200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, DC   20460

Re: Perchlorate Drinking Water Regulation

Dear Mr. Grumbles:

The recent report on perchlorate health risks from the National Academy
of Sciences (NAS) has generated significant interest in the
establishment of a national primary drinking water regulation for this
widespread water contaminant.  Legislation has been introduced in
Congress that would impose a deadline on the Agency for a final drinking
standard on perchlorate.  On principle, AWWA does not support
legislative standards or deadlines.  However, I am writing to urge the
Agency to make perchlorate a top priority, and to regulate this
contaminant as expeditiously as feasible consistent with the
requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act.

We recognize the significant challenges the Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA) faces in regulating perchlorate.  Among other things, the
task will require analyzing the NAS report, determining the Relative
Source Contribution (RSC) from water as opposed to food and other
sources of perchlorate; determining appropriate body weight on which to
base the standard; estimating the amount of water consumed by a person
of appropriate weight; and conducting necessary research on treatment
and residuals disposal.  We understand that these steps will require
significant EPA resources.

Having said that, water utilities are currently in the untenable
position of not knowing what the appropriate standard should be as they
take proactive steps to reduce perchlorate exposure to their customers.
Moreover, in the absence of federal standards, several states are moving
to set perchlorate standards on their own.  A patchwork of different
state standards may develop that further confuses and alarms consumers.
Finally, a national drinking water regulation would provide consistent
cleanup standards at perchlorate contamination sites.

I will be glad to meet with you or your staff at any time on this
matter, and we look forward to engaging with the Agency to help in any
way possible as you move forward in this regulatory endeavor.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me or Alan Roberson
in our Washington Office.

Sincerely Yours,

Thomas W. Curtis
Deputy Executive Director