2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Mar 2005 23:29:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Cornhusker (NE) plant cleanup dispute

EPA vs. Army
Cornhusker cleanup meeting closed to public

By Tracy Overstreet
Grand Island Independent (NE)
March 27, 2005

The Army Corps of Engineers and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
are planning to wage a two-day battle in Grand Island next week to
settle their dispute over cleanup at the Cornhusker Army Ammunition Plant.

The Army wants to clean remaining unsold land at the defunct plant to a
depth of one foot, while the EPA maintains a four-foot depth is
necessary to protect the public from unexploded ordnance buried there.

"We need to come to a compromise between what's right versus what's the
cheapest," said Army Corps Environmental Project Manager Al Kam. "There
are limited funds. We are fighting a war in Iraq."

But EPA officials maintain the Army should be held accountable for its
past problems and cleaning land to a level safe for the public.

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/032705/new_caapfight27.shtml