2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Apr 2005 22:31:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Ammo dump cleanup worries parents"

Ammo dump cleanup worries parents: Fear kids on nearby Scituate school
playground may be exposed to toxins

By DIANA SCHOBERG
Quincy Patriot Ledger (MA)

Parents are worried that a state-ordered cleanup of a munitions dump
near a Scituate school playground could expose their children to toxic dangers.

"I'm really worried about the contamination ... that the contractors are
going to be protected with hazmat suits and respirators and my children
are going to be out on the playground completely unprotected," said
Laurie Coscia as she waited for her second-grade twins after school one
day last week. "Ten years from now, I don't want to find my children
have cancer or increased exposure to anything," she said.

A state-ordered cleanup of 55 acres of land that the Army used to store
explosives and test guns during World War I is scheduled to begin next
to the playground at Wampatuck Elementary School by April 18, the first
day of the school's spring vacation.

With the warmer weather, children could be swinging and playing catch at
the playground just 800 feet away from crews digging up soil
contaminated with hazardous chemicals.

http://www.patriotledger.com/articles/2005/04/02/news/news02.txt