2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 15:27:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Critique of Hunters Point (CA) reuse

Lennar?s monstrous land grab

Editorial by Willie Ratcliff
San Francisco Bay View
April 6, 2005

The San Francisco Redevelopment Agency Commission at its meeting Tuesday
raided our community to turn Parcel A of the Hunters Point Shipyard into
a ?district? that will be taxed and burdened with $40 million in bonded
indebtedness ? all for the benefit of Florida-based mega-homebuilder
Lennar ? and we didn't even get to vote on it.

When a military base like the Shipyard closes, federal law names the
residents of the surrounding neighborhood ? in this case Bay View
Hunters Point ? as the intended beneficiaries. We're the ones who should
have the jobs and contracts for cleanup and development, and we're the
ones who should make the decisions.

The Shipyard is in our community. It is our fundamental democratic right
to have a say in any change that impacts the lives, health and welfare
of the people who live here now.

..

For the entire editorial, see
http://www.sfbayview.com/040605/landgrab040605.shtml