2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 15:59:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Environmental Group slams Cal Water Board on perchlorate

Press Statement
Clean Water Action
April 5, 2005

Environmental Group Slams State Water Board On Drinking Water Protections

Sacramento - Today's decision by the State Water Board, which changes
the rules about providing alternative water to communities with
perchlorate (the primary component of rocket fuel) in their drinking
water, defies common sense.  It would be surprising if anyone, including
members of the State Board, would actually be willing to drink water
with more rocket fuel in it.  By raising the threshold at which
polluters need to provide alternative water from 4 parts per billion
(ppb) to 6 ppb, the Board has taken a precedent-setting step backward.
We always teach your children responsibility by encouraging them to
clean up after themselves, yet when it comes to those who have
contaminated our drinking water with rocket fuel we say 'don't worry
about the mess you made.'  Real reform in Sacramento would be protecting
people and punishing polluters.  The right thing to do for these
impacted communities is provide clean and safe alternative water, get
the rocket fuel out of their drinking water and make those responsible
clean up the mess.

Clean Water Action is a national citizens' organization working for
clean, safe and affordable water, prevention of health-threatening
pollution, creation of environmentally-safe jobs and businesses, and
empowerment of people to make democracy work.

For the original statement, go to
http://www.CleanWaterAction.org/ca