2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 May 2005 16:49:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Wellhead perchlorate treatment in Santa Clarita (CA)

Firm to Clean Polluted Well
Whittaker-Bermite to treat a portion of Santa Clara River poisoned by
rocket fuel.

Judy O'Rourke
Saugus Signal (CA)
May 24, 2005

Whittaker-Bermite and its insurers will pay more than $500,000 to clean
up a well in the Santa Clara River that was found last month to be
contaminated with perchlorate. It will be the first well in the Santa
Clarita Valley to be treated.

Financing for the operation of a treatment system for the Valencia Water
Co. well will be supplied by the firm until perchlorate contamination is
neutralized on the property that once served as a Whittaker-Bermite
munitions site.

"Based upon water quality data collected in our groundwater system, we
had been planning to install treatment if perchlorate were to show up in
one of our operating wells," said Robert DiPrimio, president of Valencia
Water Co. "The treatment technology is readily available, and we believe
we can restore the operations at (the well) by the fall of 2005."

http://www.the-signal.com/News/ViewStory.asp?storyID=7204