2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Jul 2005 16:45:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] House UXO Caucus formed

NEWS
>From the U.S. House of Representatives
Contact:
Tim Daly (Blumenauer) 202-225-4811
Jessica Schafer (Farr) 202-225-2861
Kevin McKee (Miller) 202-225-3201
Rich Carter (Manzullo) 202-225-5676

July 27, 2005
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONGRESSMEN ANNOUNCE BIPARTISAN UXO CAUCUS

Washington, DC -Congressmen Earl Blumenauer (D - Ore.), Don Manzullo (R
- Ill.), Sam Farr (D - Calif.), and Gary Miller (R - Calif.), announced
today the formation of a bipartisan Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) Caucus.
As part of their ongoing efforts to increase congressional awareness of
the UXO issue, the Congressmen started this caucus to raise awareness
about the health, safety, and environmental risks of UXO and to
highlight the challenges faced by communities and the federal government
in the clean up of UXO and redevelopment of former military properties.

"I am excited that the UXO Caucus will bring a new level of attention to
our bipartisan efforts to deal with the problem of unexploded ordnance,"
Congressman Earl Blumenauer said.  "This is one of those common sense
issues where the federal government can make a big difference for our
communities with only a small investment. The federal government is the
largest land-owner in the country and should take this opportunity to
lead by example. Cleaning up UXO is important not only for public safety
and environmental reasons, but can provide a real economic boost at home."

UXO is the unexploded bombs and military munitions that failed to
explode during military training or testing.  These munitions may be
found on or buried under the surface of more than 39 million acres of
former military properties.

"Several years ago, the Army wanted to fence off thousands of acres of
land in the district I represent because it was loaded with Unexploded
Ordnance (UXO). The former Savanna Army Depot -- a munitions testing
site -- is now a national wildlife refuge open to the public because of
teamwork between my office, the Army, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
and the Environmental Protection Agency to seek alternative ways to
clean up the site and provide public access," House Small Business
Committee Chairman Don Manzullo said. "It is this type of teamwork and
information sharing we hope to provide through the Unexploded Ordnance
Caucus to speed up UXO clean-up sites so the land can again be productive."

Congressman Sam Farr added, "Having dealt with the conundrum of UXO
clean up at Fort Ord, I know as well as anybody about the challenges of
removing this contamination from our neighborhoods and communities.  I
am proud to be a co-chair of the new UXO Caucus and hope to really
energize Congress to concentrate appropriate resources to resolving this
environmental threat.  I especially thank Congressman Blumenauer for
being the impetus behind this effort and look forward to working with
him and the other members of the caucus."

"The Army Corps of Engineers have worked hard to remove unexploded
ordnance in our communities.  For example, in Orange County, California,
they have helped ensure the public can fully access O'Neil Park, a
1,700-acre, heavily wooded sanctuary with unprecedented views of the
Pacific Ocean and towering Santa Ana Mountains," said Congressman Gary
Miller.  "However, there are still millions of acres across the country
that need the Army Corps' attention.  I hope the new caucus will
highlight the Army Corps' efforts to open up these lands, while helping
us learn about innovative strategies to make sure all of our communities
are free from the dangers of UXOs."

Over the next year, the caucus plans to host briefings on the many
issues associated with UXO - from unexploded ordnance being turned into
the improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that threaten American troops in
Iraq to the way that new clean-up technologies can free up millions of
acres of land at home for economic development, housing, recreation, or
open space.  The caucus will also work to facilitate Congressional
funding and legislative action on UXO cleanup to increase investment in
technology, create business opportunities at home, and reduce the health
and safety risk for local communities.

###