2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 23 Sep 2005 21:54:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Marine families thirsty for answers"

Marine families thirsty for answers

Editorial - Our view:
By: North County Times (San Diego County, CA)
September 23, 2005

Like members of the Camp Pendleton community, we're worried about the
high levels of lead found in the tap water coursing through the homes of
military families. But we draw some comfort in the seriousness with
which the Camp Pendleton brass seems to be attacking the enemy
contaminant.

On Monday, Camp Pendleton officials announced that drinking-water
samples from 11 of 60 base houses tested in August had revealed
dangerously high levels of lead, including seven occupied by military
families. So far, the affected neighborhoods are South Mesa I and II,
Sierra Mesa, San Luis Rey, Santa Margarita and Del Mar.

Sadly, this is not a new threat to Marines and their families on bases.
North Carolina's Camp Lejeune, Pendleton's peer on the East Coast, is
still reeling from recent revelations that tens of thousands of military
family members may have been exposed to tap water contaminated by toxic chemicals.

For the entire editorial, see
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/09/23/opinion/editorials/19_06_399_22_05.txt