2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 Oct 2005 14:00:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Bonneville concerns

Submitted by Karen Kingston <Karen4theCamp@cs.com>

In my ongoing effort to apprise you and deliver transparency in the current matters regarding the Camp Bonneville fencing and 208 plan, newly discovered, I wish to share the following with you. This is shared as a concerned Clark County resident and is a diary of my participation in the DoD/BRAC Camp Bonneville Project.

1. US Army Corp of Engineer Mike Nelson, stated on record that the UXO Recon for the missing or down Fence along 1.4 miles of Camp Bonneville was not an action nor did it require a written report by the Corp of Eng. He stated the Army did a 2 inch recon for UXO along the alleged fence construction line. He stated he truly believes there is no underground ordinance in the area slated for construction, however as documents state this is a suspected or probable area for munition finds such as Howitzer Shells from WWI and WWII....the Army has currently determined the 2" depth recon is sufficient for construction. The Army has determined a verbal consultation with the Corp is sufficient. This concerns me.

A. I have great concern for the fact that BRAC is making official decisions based on information relayed orally, therefore nontraceable by the Public and undocumented by usual Corp procedure, regarding UXO and Camp Bonneville.

B. BRAC is making decisions for public safety based solely on a 2 inch depth recon in a construction area that will install metal posts up to 4 feet into Camp Bonneville soils. The installation is typically ... hammering the metal posts into the ground below while standing alongside the post. The fenceline, is typical with small to medium sized rocks underground causing the installer to hammer with more force.

C. Historic Army protocol seems to be setting current standards precedent, in this ever changing world of UXO and War. Camp Bonneville is now part of this global precedence or at very least continuing standards in the US that may or should be obsolete.

D. The Army threatened (my observation) the Camp Bonneville RAB for their diligence and concern for public safety by stating on record that ... if we questioned/objected the current terms of contract, they would pull the contract. Quotes will come from Oct. and past 2005 CB RAB minutes. (I do applaud the Army honesty and willingness to discuss)

E. The Army stated at the Oct. 2005 RAB meeting in a negative remark to the Autumn Hills resident's in attendance, to the effect....First you want a fence and now you don't! This is in response to the residents desire to be good neighbors and stewards to Clark County. One point of their concern, as stated in the meeting, is an adequate fire break which would also allow fence construction access for the Army contractors on the Army owned side of the property. This is a group of people setting aside their immediate protection for the sake of others and they were ostracized. The residents formally informed the Army that they desire further talks. I am very concerned that the Army will make good on their remark to pull contracts to replace the downed and missing fence.

F. The known Kill Zone for shells noted as possible or probable that the workers, for the fence, may encounter is one that should include consideration of evacuation of any homes that are within this Zone while fence construction continues. At this time and while the contract was determined and funded, the Army did not consider public safety with in mere scenario of a child or pet watching construction workers within this Zone. This concerns me. (this is noted within the Oct. RAB minutes) Nationally, we have slated regulations and laws denoting everything from shoring up construction pits to safety glasses and yet the US Army negates explosion safety for civilians within proximity of a maintenance work site in a UXO area.

The precedence that was stated by the Corp in September and again noted in the October meeting, is one that concerns me. Making changes to accepted protocol is never easy. Protocol that includes factors of public safety considered catastrophic should be continually changing and keeping pace with Military endeavors. I feel, we as historic onlookers, for the Camp Bonneville Cleanup Project...no matter who owns the property via transfer....should become vested as stewards and shareholders in matters such as this.

The current issue presented via the recovered document Clark County Areawide Water Quality Management Plan circa 1979, is one that I implore each of you to be available for shareholder advisories.
A. Worst case scenario, there is a pollution issue that should be looked at and may be ongoing at Camp Bonneville. One that effects our water management to its very core.
B. Least case scenario, there was a minor issue that was then corrected. Even at this level of assurance I, as a shareholder, am concerned. A non-point pollution source was identified in a 17 million dollar federal grant to our community agencies to enable our local government valid and sustaining stewardship for ground water and our major streams, waterways, rivers, and lakes. Not to mention the collateral benefits of bringing codes,etc to date and into a sustainable future for all our residents. With this in mind, while the Army generated close out documents for itself, via the Army Corp of Eng. ,a questionable practice from my standpoint, it either determined or failed in its mission to obtain and document pertinent historic data for one of Camp Bonneville's most important Reports....The Archive Search Report and its Addendum. This 208/Plan recovered document included work product from the Corp of Engineer itself, thus one would assume the document readily available for at least a comment in the ASR. This greatly concerns me.

In my twenty-five year overview of Camp Bonneville and as I look to improve the quality of my local area by being diligent and responsible beyond my own interests, I find the above concerns as issues immediately effecting quality and safety factors that will not only change or touch the lives of people here, but those others in our nation and living around US Military bases worldwide. We are small potatoes, and yet we should not continue a Bad Practice of Tombstones Before Safety Measures.

Camp Bonneville, a 1995 BRAC site, is on our turf and on our watch.

Karen Kingston
Proponent of WA State and Clark County
Shareholder in public safety issues
Co-Chair of the Camp Bonneville Restoration Board