2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Dec 2005 18:32:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Navy ordnance violation at Jackson Park (WA)

News Release
U.S. EPA Region 10

U.S. Navy Pays EPA $40,000 for violating Jackson Park Interagency
Cleanup Agreement
December 20, 2005

The U.S. Navy has agreed to pay a $40,000 penalty to resolve a Notice of
Non-compliance (NON) from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The
NON stems from the Navy's failure to submit an investigation workplan
for cleanup at the Jackson Park Housing Complex near Bremerton,
Washington.

The area in question involves Operable Unit 3T (OU3T) of the site, which
contains abandoned military ordnance from the former Naval Ammunition
Depot Puget Sound that operated there for more than 50 years, spanning
World Wars I and II. Following WWII, the area was partly converted to
residential housing and renamed the Jackson Park Housing Complex.

The work plan, once approved, will require the Navy to investigate the
nature and extent of discarded military munitions currently abandoned
within the residential housing and other areas of the site, posing
potential explosives safety hazards or other risks to human health and
the environment.

The Jackson Park Housing Complex/Naval Hospital Bremerton was listed on
the Superfund National Priorities List (NPL) in 1994.

EPA Region 10 has long enjoyed a productive working relationship with
the Navy, addressing several contaminated naval facilities in the
region. However, at sites like Jackson Park, cleanups involving military
munitions have proven to be more difficult and complex.

"Resolving this dispute puts us 'back on the road' at Jackson Park,"
said David Croxton, EPA's Site Cleanup Unit Manager, "I'm hopeful that
we can rely on our past record of working collaboratively with the Navy
to satisfy our mutual interest in protecting human health and the environment."

The work plan was due to EPA by July 27, 2005. On October 27, 2005, the
Navy submitted to EPA a request for extension of the schedule for the
submittal of the Work Plan. The new due date for the Navy's submittal of
the draft final Phase II RI Work Plan for OU-3T-JPHC is January 27,
2006.

For the original news release, see
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/5a423216980b60b985257018004d114d/42deee9fdf66ed26852570dd007fd55e!OpenDocument
(You may need to cut and paste the URL.)