2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Jan 2006 20:55:26 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rains wash perchlorate away near Santa Susana Lab (CA)

Rains clean up toxins at development site near lab
Perchlorate no longer detected at Dayton Canyon Creek

By Kerry Cavanaugh
Los Angeles Daily News
January 20, 2006

WEST HILLS - Heavy rainfall over New Year's weekend apparently washed
away much of the contamination from the site of a planned luxury-home
development, just days before state toxics officials were supposed to
begin digging up the chemical.

Where officials found the rocket fuel ingredient perchlorate at up to
1,300 parts per million in the fall - roughly 166 times higher than
acceptable limits - they detected none of the chemical in tests taken
after the storm dumped about 3 inches of rain on the site.

Perchlorate is a salt that dissolves easily and moves with water.

"We wanted to do the right thing, we wanted to make sure we got the
perchlorate out of there, but it didn't happen. We had big rains and now
it's gone," said Sayareh Amir, branch chief of the Department of Toxic
Substances Control Southern California Cleanup Operations.

http://dailynews.com/news/ci_3422899