2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Feb 2006 23:38:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fire at former Raritan Arsenal

Blaze poses no toxic threat

Middlesex County Home News Tribune (NJ)
By RICHARD KHAVKINE
February 1, 2006

EDISON - Air-sample tests taken during the Friday afternoon fire at the former Raritan Arsenal did not detect dangerous levels of toxic materials, Middlesex County Public Health Director David Papi said yesterday.

"We just found normal combustibles," said Papi, adding that a final report due this week is not likely to turn up any unexpected findings.

Friday's test results revealed "nothing else that we felt would be alarming," he said.

The fire burned about 150 acres of brush and two structures on a stretch of mostly desolate land behind the New Jersey Exposition and Convention Center adjacent to the Raritan River.

The Army manufactured ammunition and explosives at the arsenal, which was active from 1917 until the early 1960s. Arsenal personnel commonly dumped and buried munitions, including mustard gas, a fact that led to requests for the air samples, Papi said.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060201/NEWS0102/602010349/1001