2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Feb 2006 00:51:25 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Olin's perchlorate and Morgan Hill's (CA) water

Pollution Investigation Due in March

By Matt King
Gilroy Dispatch (CA)
February 7, 2006

San Martin - The city of Morgan Hill's aggressive lobbying to hold the Olin Corp. responsible for the city's perchlorate contamination is beginning to pay off. The Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board will decide by the end of March if there's enough evidence to pin Morgan Hill's pollution on the company.

"To determine whether we have enough credible evidence to assign responsibility to Olin, that will be the tough part," said water board engineer Hector Hernandez, who oversees Olin's cleanup of South County's groundwater. "It may mean we find out we don't have sufficient information to assign responsibility to Olin."

Olin doesn't dispute that its Railroad Avenue road-flare factory, which it operated from 1955 to 1987, caused the 9.5-mile perchlorate plume that stretches south through San Martin and east of Gilroy. But the company claims it's not responsible for the so-called northeast flow because groundwater moves south from the factory site.

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/contentview.asp?c=178450