2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Mar 2006 23:32:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RRPI to be proposed, opposed again

News From Congresswoman Hilda L. Solis
32nd Congressional District of California

www.house.gov/solis

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 23, 2006

Solis Denounces Defense Department's Continued Attacks on Public Health and the Environment

Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Solis, Ranking Democrat of the Energy and Commerce Committee's Subcommittee on Environment and Hazardous Materials, issued the following statement today regarding continued efforts by the U.S. Department of Defense to exempt itself from important public health and environmental laws. This week, Defense Department submitted its "Range Readiness and Preservation Initiative" for consideration by Congress again.

"I am disappointed that the Defense Department is insisting on continuing its efforts to win exemptions from public health and environmental laws. These exemptions would endanger the public health and welfare of military families and surrounding communities, and jeopardize our drinking water supply," said Congresswoman Solis. "We cannot allow the military to contaminate our water, air and land, and decide on its own when to clean it up, if ever. Servicemen and women and their families, who sacrifice so much for this country, deserve better."

###