2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Apr 2006 19:38:19 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rialto (CA) cleanup proposal rejected

Water-cleanup proposal rejected

PERCHLORATE: The plan targeted the apparent source of the contamination below Rialto and Colton.

By JENNIFER BOWLES
Riverside Press-Enterprise (CA)
April 21, 2006

Inland residents and activists, frustrated by what they say is a lack of progress on ridding perchlorate from their groundwater sources, failed Friday to get regional water-quality regulators to adopt a plan they devised to speed the cleanup of the rocket-fuel ingredient.

"I'm really concerned that we need to work fast so no more children are harmed," said Marene Deischer, 51, of Rialto, who says two of her children's illnesses stem from perchlorate.

She was among 30 people, mostly Hispanic, who held signs that said "Clean Water Now" during the meeting of the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board in Loma Linda.

For the entire article,see
http://www.pe.com/localnews/pass/stories/PE_News_Local_B_perch22.22cd2688.html

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org