2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 10 Aug 2006 17:52:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] North Carolina flyover

I meant to comment on this article. I don't know where else the armed services have used this approach, but I think it's a much more effective way to determine the suitability of development than the most sophisticated noise studies.

I suggest a corollary approach. Military officials should visit some of the people with existing homes and farms under military training routes, who have contacted me with their complaints, to hear what the "sound of freedom" sounds like from their vantage point.

Lenny

Lenny Siegel wrote:
Carteret commissioners get an earful

Jannette Pippin
New Bern Sun Journal (NC)
August 9, 2006

Military officials hold flight demonstrations to show how loud jets can be over development

BOGUE - Members of the Carteret County Board of Commissioners could hear the approaching EA-6B Prowler aircraft before they could see it. As it passed Tuesday evening 400 feet above the 12-acre Mariner's Bay subdivision it drowned out any hope of conversation.

Soon after, an AV-8B Harrier pilot followed suit as he prepared for his first ship-board qualifications.

As county leaders peered through the treetops, they heard the military's viewpoint on a proposed residential development that would put homes close to training operations at the Marine Corps' landing field off the N.C. 24 corridor in Bogue.

http://www.newbernsj.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=29257&Section=Local

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org