2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Sep 2006 05:24:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Nonpoint perchlorate sources, Long island, NY

NONPOINT SOURCES OF PERCHLORATE IN GROUNDWATER OF SUFFOLK COUNTY, LONG
ISLAND, NY

JENNIEL MUNSTER et al
Geological Society of America
2006 Philadelphia Annual Meeting (22–25 October 2006)
Paper No. 12-12

Perchlorate in groundwater is a concern due to the threat of a mandated national drinking water standard provoked by the likelihood that low levels of perchlorate may disrupt normal thyroid function. Nonpoint sources may be an important contribution to the perchlorate concentrations of groundwater, however since they are widespread they are difficult to discern and remediate. We measured perchlorate concentrations of nonpoint sources in Suffolk County, NY. Perchlorate was determined using ion chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry. Perchlorate was detected in nearly all samples.

Rain water concentrations of 90 ± 10 parts per trillion (ppt) were on average higher that those measured globally. Global average values are 10-70 ppt. Chemical fertilizers ranged from 0 to 25 ppt, while one organic fertilizer measured at 8.6 ppb; natural nitrate deposits in Chile with high perchlorate are commonly used in organic fertilizers. The organic fertilizer we measured contains kelp, which is also known to contain perchlorate. We were surprised to find up to 163 ppb of perchlorate in soil water under turfgrass maintained with organic fertilizer. Suffolk County receives 44 inches of rain annually plus the sites were regularly irrigated. Thus, we would expect perchlorate to be diluted in soil water influenced by fertilizer unless there is another source of perchlorate.

For the entire abstract, see
http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2006AM/finalprogram/abstract_112943.htm