2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Sep 2006 04:05:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Massachusetts Military Reservation (MA) turnaround

Good neighbor policy in place at base

By Joe Burns
Upper Cape Codder (MA)
Thursday, September 28, 2006

About face. That's what Upper Cape towns and citizens have experienced in their relations with and impressions of Massachusetts Military Reservation.

"Over these two decades we've gone 180 degrees from really serious problems with no acceptance of responsibility to total acceptance and cooperation," says Falmouth selectwoman Virginia Valiela.

Valiela, who has been a Falmouth selectwoman for 20 years, was the town's commissioner of public works when groundwater contamination from the military base caused the closing of Falmouth's Ashumet well in 1979, and with it the loss of a million gallons of water a day.

"At that time we dealt with total denial on the part of the military for any responsibility. And we had little access to people to even discuss the situation," Valiela says.

http://www2.townonline.com/bourne/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=582139