2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Oct 2006 22:54:21 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Activists bid for Lawrence Livermore (CA) management contract

Submitted by Marylia Kelley <marylia@earthlink.net>:

Group files longshot bid for control of lab
Anti-nuclear activists, partners want Lawrence Livermore to focus on peaceful pursuits

Keay Davidson
San Francisco Chronicle
October 8, 2006

It's a classic David versus Goliath standoff.

A band of nuclear disarmament advocates, college educators and wind-energy developers is positioning itself to go up against a consortium led by the University of California and the politically powerful San Francisco-based Bechtel Corp. for control of one of the nation's top nuclear design labs.

The band, which includes longtime advocacy group Tri-Valley CAREs, acknowledges it has little chance of outbidding the UC-Bechtel group for management rights to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, which has been run by UC for more than half a century. But it plans to press ahead anyway.

The U.S. Department of Energy has given all comers until Oct. 27 to submit their contract bids.

"We do not believe the Department of Energy is going to choose our bid. But that isn't how I define 'winning,' " said Marylia Kelley, one of the Bay Area's best-known critics of the lab. She runs Tri-Valley CAREs (Communities Against a Radioactive Environment), an activist group that in its 23 years of existence has won widespread respect for its serious and studied approach to its work.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/08/BAGS3LL5A21.DTL&hw=Livermore&sn=002&sc=880

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org