2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Nov 2006 18:08:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Gulfport Seabee Center (MS) dioxin cleanup

Navy base contamination cleanup ongoing

By MIKE KELLER
Biloxi Sun-Herald
November 15, 2006

GULFPORT - Naval Construction Battalion Center environmental managers said Tuesday they are working on a plan to excavate dioxin-contaminated soil recently found west of Canal Road and are finishing one part of the major cleanup.

They also are trying to figure out how to clean two contaminated areas under the base's golf course, but did not have concrete end dates for the projects.

"As a taxpayer, you would like to see an end to this ongoing cleanup, but we would also like to see an end to these defects in our environment that needs to be corrected," said David Marshall, a civilian member of the community advisory board. "They're making good progress."

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/news/special_packages/renewal/long_beach/16015081.htm

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org