2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Mar 2007 17:15:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Air Force Academy (CO) vs. mouse

Academy intrudes on habitat of mouse

By PAM ZUBECK
COLORADO SPRINGS GAZETTE (CO)
March 2, 2007

The Air Force Academy is investigating the expansion of an RV parking lot onto habitat reserved for the threatened Preble's Meadow jumping mouse.

The academy violated an agreement with the Fish and Wildlife Service by failing to notify the agency before encroaching on habitat deemed critical for the survival of the mouse. The violation carries no fine.

The lot intruded on less than half an acre of the 3,500 acres on the academy reserved for the mouse, which is protected under the Endangered Species Act.

"We violated not only our rules but the Fish and Wildlife rules," academy spokesman Johnny Whitaker said. "I'm not going to downplay it, because it is a big deal. Environmental protection is a big deal for the Air Force, and it's a big deal here."

http://www.gazette.com/onset?id=19738&template=article.html