2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 06:06:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Solis introduces perchlorate mandate

Press Release
Congresswoman Hilda Solis
March 28, 2007

SOLIS INTRODUCES BILL TO SET NATIONAL DRINKING WATER STANDARD FOR PERCHLORATE

Washington, D.C. - Today, Congresswoman Hilda L. Solis (D-CA), Vice Chair of the Environment and Hazardous Materials Subcommittee, introduced the Safe Drinking Water for Healthy Communities Act of 2007. This legislation will require the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to establish a national standard for drinking water for perchlorate (a component of rocket fuel).

"It is unacceptable that our country does not have an enforceable, protective public health standard to ensure our drinking water is safe from perchlorate," said Solis. "This bill will establish accountability and, most importantly, protect the health of our vulnerable populations including pregnant women and children, and secure water supplies."

Perchlorate is an ingredient in rocket fuel, 90 percent of which is produced for use by the U.S. Department of Defense and NASA. It is extremely soluble and has been found in drinking water, food, groundwater, irrigation water, soil and human breast milk. Since 1997, 456 drinking water sources in California have been found with perchlorate contamination, including more than 100 in Los Angeles County.

Perchlorate presents a risk to human health in vulnerable populations, including pregnant women and children, as it blocks the ability of the thyroid to absorb iodine. Absorbing iodine is necessary for normal human health and development. In October, 2006, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found significant changes in thyroid hormone levels in humans who were exposed to perchlorate and concluded that perchlorate exposure appears to be widespread.

Unfortunately, the DOD has refused to clean up perchlorate contamination and the EPA has historically failed to exercise its authority to require the DOD to address contamination at its facilities.

"For far too long the DOD has run roughshod over our nation's public health and environmental laws," said Solis. "Congress should not succumb to the lobbying efforts of the DOD, but should instead defend the public health of our communities. I am proud that this legislation is a step in that direction."

The Association of Metropolitan Water Agencies and Environmental Working Group expressed support for this legislation upon introduction.

For the original release, see
http://solis.house.gov/apps/list/press/ca32_solis/wida2/percholorate.shtml