2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Apr 2007 04:54:40 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Bellows Beach, Bellows Air Force Base (HI)

Funding for Bellows cleanup is requested

By Laurie Au
Honolulu Star-Bulletin
April 12, 2007

U.S. Rep. Mazie Hirono requested $2.5 million in funding to clean up a former landfill on Bellows Beach, siding with community members who protested an earlier proposal by the Air Force to leave the area as it is.

"We want to work together to find a way to get this cleaned up," Hirono said yesterday at a news conference at Bellows Beach. "From where I stand and where the community stands, in order for that to happen, we have to obtain some money."

It will take several months for the Committee on Appropriations to make a decision, said Francis Nakamoto, Hirono's senior policy adviser.

"We're hopeful," Nakamoto said. "Whether the request is approved depends on competing requests and the committee."

http://starbulletin.com/2007/04/12/news/story04.html