2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Apr 2007 03:11:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] House perchlorate hearing

The prepared testimony for the House hearing on perchlorate standards may be downloaded from
http://energycommerce.house.gov/cmte_mtgs/110-ehm.hrg.042507.Perchlorate.shtml.

I've just skimmed the testimony, and it appears to provide a good summary of the various perspectives on perchlorate risk from several perspectives.

I found particular interesting EPA's explanation of why it will not soon develop a drinking water standard for perchlorate - from page 8-9 of the EPA testimony:

"Before the Agency can make a determination as to whether it is appropriate to regulate perchlorate in drinking water, we need to better understand total perchlorate exposure and the RSC (i.e., exposure to perchlorate from water as opposed to food sources)."

Given the data already available on perchlorate, I wonder how many drinking water standards we would have if EPA had used the same threshold to decide whether to begin the processing for other pollutants.

Lenny