2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 27 Apr 2007 16:22:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rep. Solis's perchlorate statement

Solis: Protect Public Health and Drinking Water; Establish Drinking Water Standard which Protects Public Health

Washington, D.C. - Congresswoman Hilda L. Solis (D-CA), Vice Chair of the Environment and Hazardous Materials Subcommittee, gave the following statement at today's [April 25, 2007] House Environment and Hazardous Materials Subcommittee hearing titled "Perchlorate: Health and Environmental Impacts of Unregulated Exposure." Solis spoke in support of H.R. 1747, the Safe Drinking Water for Healthy Communities Act of 2007, legislation she introduced to establish a national drinking water standard for perchlorate.

"Chairman Wynn, thank you for holding this hearing today.

"It is our responsibility to both protect public health and preserve our drinking water supplies. Unregulated perchlorate contamination threatens both. As a result of the Administration's failure to regulate perchlorate in a manner that protects public health, our water providers and consumers are bearing the brunt of contamination and public health and drinking water supplies are at risk.

"Perchlorate presents a risk to human health in vulnerable populations, including pregnant women and children. In October 2006, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found significant changes in thyroid hormone levels in humans who were exposed to perchlorate, including 36 percent of women, approximately 43 million, who are high risk. Children are exposed to an average of 1.6 times more perchlorate than adults.

"Since 1997, 456 drinking water sources in California have been found with perchlorate contamination, including more than 100 in Los Angeles County. This chart exhibits the widespread perchlorate contamination in the Los Angeles Basin. The City of Baldwin Park, which I represent, is home to the first perchlorate treatment facility in the nation.

"Despite the widespread contamination of perchlorate and its impact on both public health and our water supply, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Defense (DOD), have engaged in a game of finger pointing and delay.

"According to the EPA, the Defense Department is deferring all remedial action relating to perchlorate contamination at or from its facilities until a Federal drinking water standard is adopted. Since 2002, the Defense Department actively sought to exempt itself from state and Federal public health and environmental laws which protect drinking water supplies from chemical constituents of military munitions, including perchlorate. Meanwhile, the EPA has historically failed to exercise enforcement authority to undertake remedial actions to address perchlorate contamination at Department facilities that are listed on the Superfund National Priorities list.

"We must protect public health and drinking water supplies by establishing a national primary drinking water standard that is protective of vulnerable populations. That is why I have introduced H.R. 1747. Any further delay in establishing a Federal drinking water standard could result in unnecessary public health risks and unacceptable losses of water and resources.

"The Association of Metropolitan Water Agencies agrees, and stated it believes my bill "will reduce potential health risks, save water providers and ratepayers future treatment expenses, and protect sources of drinking water." The City of Los Angeles, the San Gabriel Basin Water Quality Authority, and the Center for Community Action and Environmental Justice support passage of H.R. 1747.

"I thank our witnesses for joining us today and I look forward to finally making progress in the direction of public health and drinking water protection."

###