2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 May 2007 07:17:19 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] National Lead (NY) - uranium-tainted soil shipments

Shipments of tainted soil restart
Contaminated material being removed from former National Lead site

By JORDAN CARLEO-EVANGELIST
Albany Times-Union (NY)
May 30, 2007

COLONIE -- The final trainload of uranium-tainted soil is expected to leave the former National Lead site by summer's end, made possible by an unexpected infusion of federal money.

In the final push of a two-decade clean-up at the Central Avenue plant, secure train cars started hauling away the remaining 8,000 cubic yards of tainted soil last week, said James Moore, project manager for the Army Corps of Engineers.

"We'll have the entire pile moved by the end of August. Once that's done, we'll have all the contaminated material off-site," he said.

The news comes just shy of a year after Army Corps officials, faced with a greater volume of contaminated soil than expected, prepared the public for the likelihood that the site would close at year's end until more money became available to ship it away.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=593495&category=ALBANY&BCCode=&newsdate=5/30/2007