2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Jun 2007 00:06:45 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Warren Grove (NJ) range fire

Guard pressed for fire answers
N.J.'s two U.S. senators demanded assurances against more problems involving jets.

By Jacqueline L. Urgo
Philadelphia Inquirer
May 19, 2007

This week's military mistake that burned 17,250 acres of New Jersey's Pinelands and routed thousands from their homes brought demands from both of the state's U.S. senators yesterday that the Air National Guard prove it will not cause another tragedy.

"New Jersey's firefighters and first-responders risk their lives to protect the Pine Barrens and our local communities," said a harshly worded statement from Sen. Frank Lautenberg, who has summoned the Air National Guard's three top generals to his Washington office Monday.

"But this fire never should have started - period," said Lautenberg, a Democrat. "This fire started because the National Guard did not follow proper safety procedures - procedures I called for nearly three years ago. New Jerseyans expect their military to act more safely and more carefully."

http://www.philly.com/philly/health_and_science/20070519_Guard_pressed_for_fire_answers.html