2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2007 23:35:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Radiation investigation at Camp Lejeune (NC)

EPA investigating waste at Camp Lejeune

By ESTES THOMPSON
Associated Press
San Jose Mercury News (CA)
July 10, 2007

RALEIGH, N.C. - The Environmental Protection Agency is investigating whether cancer-causing radioactive material was buried in the 1980s near a rifle range at Camp Lejeune, the Marine Corps' primary base on the Atlantic Ocean.

A recently recovered Navy document dated 1981 said the material included 160 pounds of soil and two animal carcasses laced with strontium-90, an isotope that causes cancer and leukemia.

"We are looking into this information to determine if we need to sample and where," said Dawn Harris-Young, a spokeswoman for the EPA's regional office in Atlanta. "It's really early."

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_6341724