2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2007 09:20:50 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Edwards (MA) lead bullets

Guard receives conditional OK to resume use of lead bullets

By Amanda Lehmert
Cape Cod Times (MA)
July 25, 2007

Starting in August, the Massachusetts National Guard will have 17 months to show it can use lead bullets at Camp Edwards while doing no harm to the Upper Cape's drinking water supply.

In a letter sent to the Guard yesterday, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Regional Administrator Robert Varney agreed to temporarily lift the 1997 ban on lead ammunition at the base to test whether bullet traps and other measures are sufficient to protect the health of Cape residents.

"While our top concern is preventing pollution for the Upper Cape's land and water, EPA also recognizes that the Massachusetts National Guard has taken great strides in balancing environmental mandates with providing realistic training for our troops," Varney said.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070725/NEWS/707250339/-1/NEWSLETTER02